For the third year, Brighton based, Low Carbon Europe has successfully attained the internationally recognised Planet Mark certification. This certification recognises commitment to continuous improvement in sustainability.
In our third year of reporting with The Planet Mark, we significantly reduced our carbon footprint by 38% demonstrating our commitment to sustainability and ability to practice what we preach.
Our reduction was achieved in part by our move to a naturally ventilated office as well as a conscious team effort to consider the necessity and mode of travel to client sites. These efforts saw our carbon footprint drop to 11.6 TCO2e a decrease of 38.2% from 2017. Comparison to 2017 also sees a 15% decrease in total carbon emissions per employee, a 66.5% decrease in building emissions per m2 and a 32.5% decrease in travel emissions.
Managing Director Darren Jones said; “I am really proud that we have been able to achieve another year’s certification with The Planet Mark through a reduction in energy and business mileage. This certification clearly provides value and focus, helping us achieve the sustainability ambitions which are fundamental to our business.”
Attaining this significant reduction in our third year of carbon reporting is testament to LCE’s commitment to sustainability, an achievement commended by CEO and Founder of the Planet Mark, Steve Malkin; “The team at LCE live and breathe sustainability. LCE supports organisations across the UK in becoming more energy and resource efficient, which helps reduce their customers’ carbon emissions and help reverse climate change. But the team has chosen to go even further by reducing their own business carbon footprint and achieving The Planet Mark. This is outstanding work by a really committed team of people.”
The Planet Mark Certificate recognises LCE’s good practice in sustainability, including:
- Measuring 11.6 tCO2e from electricity, natural gas, water, travel and waste, the equivalent of 1.44 tCO2e per person
- Storing 260 tCO2 in one acre of protected rainforest
- Making a commitment to engage employees and suppliers to drive sustainable improvement in the company
- Investing in the Eden Project to support continuing education on climate change
To assist LCE in achieving its sustainability goals, The Planet Mark team has made several recommendations including:
- Investigating the opportunity to install LED lighting within the office and encourage the Landlord to roll LED lighting out across the whole building.
- Promoting the uptake of public transport for the purposes of client meetings.
- Waste: Reviewing the opportunity to collate data on waste.
- Paper: Reviewing the opportunity to collate data on paper.
Low Carbon Europe: Low Carbon Europe (LCE), is a leading energy and sustainability consultancy specialising in delivering real energy savings that help organisations reduce their carbon footprint, use less energy and spend less money.
This is LCE’s third year of business carbon footprint reporting. LCE first calculated the carbon footprint of their office in Brighton as well as business travel for the year ending July 2016 and set a target to reduce emissions by 5% annually.